Saturday, May 19, 2007

D'oh!!

A choice article from Chris Nelder of the GetReal List and Energy and Capital.
Excerpted from Energy and Capital.

There’s a Hole in the Bucket

Chris Nelder2007-05-18
By Chris Nelder

That does it. Time to set this record straight.

If I get one more email petition asking me not to buy gasoline on some day or another, or from one company or another, I'm gonna scream.

Some consumers actually decided not to buy gasoline yesterday, because an email chain letter suggested that if enough of them stayed away from the pumps on May 15, it would bring prices down.

Get a grip, people.

Such tactics could never reduce the price of gasoline. And that chain letter has been going around since 1999.

One instance claimed that if all 72 million MySpace users participated in the "gas-out," it would bring the oil companies to their knees by depriving them, at $30/tankful, of $2 billion in revenue that day. (Huh, I only wish I could fill up my tank for $30!)

Eeeyeah . . .

Before I get into this flawed math, allow me to cite yet another nursery rhyme . . . after all, everything we needed to know we learned in kindergarten, right?

Sing along, now: [more]

No comments: